SHOW THE FUTURE WORKFORCE OF THE TEXAS PANHANDLE WHAT YOUR BUSINESS HAS TO OFFER!
Mark your calendars for Thursday, June 13, 2019 for the Amarillo Teen Conference!
The Preparation for Adult Living (PAL) program was implemented in 1986 to ensure that older youth in substitute care are prepared for their inevitable departure from the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services’ care and support. At any given time, there are about 3,500 youth 16 years of age and older in substitute care. PAL program staff strive to provide each of these youth with skills and resources they will need to be healthy, productive adults.
Preparing youth for adulthood is much more than teaching them how to balance a checkbook and sign a lease. PAL services include involvement in programs aimed at improving youths’ self-esteem and improving their ability to make responsible decisions. PAL helps youth face the challenges of adulthood and independence.
The 2019 Teen Conference will provide area youth the opportunity to meet local resources and educators and discuss a variety of options. These interactions will benefit the students as they begin to make decisions that affect their career related coursework in high school and beyond.
- Location: Amarillo College Student Union Building, 2201 S Washington St, Amarillo, TX 79109
- Date: Thursday, June 13, 2019
- Time: 11:00 AM – 11:45 AM
- Booth Setup: Day of the event beginning at 10:30 am
- Attendees: Foster Youth aged 16-18
- Each organization typically sends 2 participants, but you are welcome to send more
- Estimated total number of students: 75
- Training & Education
- Community Resources
- Career Information
- Table & Chairs (Various Sizes)
How to prepare for the event:
- Consider ways to engage students in discussions as they will be encouraged to ask questions. If you are able, bring products/displays that will demonstrate your operations.
- Prepare to explain your profession, including educational requirements, internships, career pathways, daily responsibilities, long term responsibilities, and any additional insight
What to bring (if available):
- Please bring a 15′ extension cord if electricity is needed
- Display items that represent your organization
- Giveaways for the students*
- Items or equipment that demonstrate the work performed at your organization*
- Any literature/handouts about your organization